Stakeholders involved in the varied aspects of coastal zone management are facing increasing challenges as a result of development pressures, environmental impacts and increasing risks - arising from climate change.
ICE organised an International Coastal Management Conference in conjunction with a team of world-renowned coastal engineers and a wide range of European government departments and NGOs, with the aim of achieving sustainable management of coastal zones.
This book contains the proceedings of the conference held on 31 October and 1 November 2007. It outlines each session from the conference - highlighting innovation and best practice in the field of coastal management. The book supports practitioners in implementing the discussed methods of practice by presenting the exchange of ideas and further information in a concise manner.
The papers presented in this book cover the full range of coastal management topics including:
• Coastal policies and management arrangement
• Managing the dynamic coast
• Mapping, monitoring and new technologies
• Coastal and estuary engineering
• Coastal environmental management and enhancement
• Achieving better integrated coastal zone management