Cities for Driverless Vehicles
examines the relationship between autonomous vehicles, transport infrastructure requirements and urban forms, as well as explores ways to adopt autonomous vehicles into future cities. With insights drawn from urban planners and professionals across the world, the book informs you how our future cities will look, what legal requirements will need to be met, how pedestrians will interact with driverless vehicles, the Mobility as a Service (MaaS) concept, and how planners can prepare for the new technological age. Informed research and expert transport modelling is underpinned by international case studies along with the action plans required to make the transition a smooth, orderly and safe one for future generations.
- includes plans for industry professionals on understanding new and upcoming technology and provides thoughts for further research and development
- details the infrastructure that the vehicles will interact with, including hard solutions and soft benefits
- reveals how to plan for a future with MaaS
- concludes each chapter with plausible and desirable future scenarios for the reader to take away and consider.
With technology changing the face of future travel faster than ever before, the need to be ahead of the curve has never been greater. This forward-thinking book is, therefore, an ideal and necessary purchase for urban and transport planners, infrastructure engineers, vehicle manufacturers, and policy and decision makers tasked with future-proofing urban areas.
Product code: 9780727764522
Publication status: Published
Publisher: ICE Publishing
01. Introduction: urbanisation and the planning context (Xu Zhang)
02. Cities in the making (Jacobs Cities Solutions)
03. The state of the art: a planning perspective (Xu Zhang with Brian Burkhard)
04. The up and coming: traffic and transport in future cities (Xu Zhang, Hui Li and Hao Yue)
05. Urban networks and autonomous vehicles (John Parkin)
06. Car free development: new urban and rural places for people (Rachel Skinner, Giles Perkins and Peter Ramsey)
07. Interchanges (Rachel Skinner, Giles Perkins and Peter Ramsey)
08. Design for a future with driverless vehicles - acceptance and adoption (Dale Harrow and Jiayu Wu)
09. Mobility as a service (John McCarthy with Pan Haixiao)
10. Freight and distribution in cities (Michael Bell)
11. Modelling and analysis of shared autonomous mobility (Peter Jones and Luis Willumsen with Paul Speirs, Jaume Barcelo and Devrim Kara and Seungjae Lee, Jooyoung Kim and Shinhae Lee)
12. The role of the public and private sectors (John Siraut with Yasuo Asakura and Koji Hachiyama)
13. Coevolution of the regulatory and legal framework to enable CAVs to use the highway (Graham Parkhurst, Matthew Cockburn, Jonathon Murphy and Brian Wong)
14. Navigating the path to an autonomous future (Xu Zhang)